Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Everything You Need To Know

You know and you’ve been reading a lot of blog posts that we covered on the topic of “Can dogs eat ….?” Well, if you forgot, let us have a trip down the memory lane and see what food items for dogs we have covered so far. Heck, we have not only covered fruits, we have also covered grass; was one of the blog-post that covered the reasons as to why dogs opt to eat grass from time to time.

However, when it comes to the food and fruits they can actually eat, we have covered a lot. For example, “can dogs eat watermelon?” You can study it on Virtuous Dogs. Now, if we have helped you recall those articles, you might be able to recall that we said yes to all those questions. Yes, dogs can eat all these fruits, but only after some very important precautionary measures are taken.

Yet, grapes and raisins are the no go area for dogs. Before we explain it any further, let us do a little Q&A session just like we do in all of our posts.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

  1. Can dogs eat grapes?

Grapes are toxic for dogs. Although we do not know as of yet as to what exactly causes this toxicity, there is no doubt that grapes should not be fed to dogs. Even small amount of grapes can prove to be fatal.

Yes, you got it right. The answer to your question “Can dogs eat grapes?” is a big No with capital N. Now that we know that you cannot feed grapes to your dogs, let us have a look at the reasons as to why dogs cannot eat grapes.

Out of many other fatal and very serious effects of feeding grapes to dogs, there is this possibility of severe kidney damage, which leads to acute kidney failure. As a result, your beloved pup’s kidneys stop producing urine and this situation finally leads him to death.

However, this is surely not possible to claim whether all dogs that die because of eating grapes, have a kidney failure. Among other symptoms of reaction of eating grapes, are vomiting and diarrhea, weakness and quietness, lack of appetite, severe dehydration, pain in abdomen, oral ulcer, seizures, tremors and even comatose.

You would definitely not like to see your dog ending up in such a situation and this is why this question “Can dogs eat grapes?” is very important.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

  1. Can dogs eat raisins?

Raisins are dehydrated and dried form of grapes. They bear the same toxic agent which is found in grapes and which can cause serious health problems to a dog, and even lead a dog to death.

The over simplicity of this question is obvious. Say if someone comes and tells you that apples may cause constipation, would you ask them whether apple pie or apple jam are good for a person prone to constipation? You won’t. Because if apple can cause constipation, so may any jams, pies or cuisines based on apple.

So, once you get the answer to this question, you should be confident and if anyone asks you next time “Can dogs eat grapes and raisins?”, you would definitely say no, because in essence both are the same things.

 

  1. Are grapes equally dangerous to small and big dogs?

Grapes are toxic and they may prove to be lethal for a dog. However, it does not mean that two or three grapes will kill a dog. Likewise, if you feed the equal quantity of grapes to a small and a big dog, the small dog will be more likely to be poisoned.

Now this is some serious and complicated debate. How do you know if it is enough to kill or not? Say for example, you have one Labrador and one Chihuahua, and suppose you accidentally feed grapes to them, who is more likely to be affected? Well, theory says that Chihuahua will be highly likely to be affected. But what if, Chihuahua only manages to eat a few grapes because of its small mouth and Lab ends up with a whole bunch of them? Who, do you think, will get food poisoned? Tricky, isn’t it?

  1. What immediate treatment can I provide to my dog if he accidently eats grapes?

First you need to be positive that your dog ate grapes within last two hours. Secondly, you have to try any hacks or medicine to make your dog vomit. Thirdly and lastly, if your dog has vomited after your efforts, immediately take him to a trusted veterinarian.

However, this matter includes its own complications. What if your dog consumed grapes more than two hours ago and now he is near dead or unconscious?

Well, in this case, make sure that you notice a few signs. Your dog is unconscious, it is having heavy breathing or it seems to be in shock. If you notice any of these signs, it means that it is too late to force vomiting on him. Do not try to do so. Immediately take him to veterinarian and hope for the best.

  1. What makes grapes and raisins toxic for dogs?

Until now researchers have not been successful to find the toxic or the reasons why grapes and raisins prove to be toxic for dogs. However, as per some assumptions, this toxicity might be because of the acids found in grapes e.g. malic, tartaric and a small amount of citric acids.

However, before ever you jump to conclusions, let us make this very clear that as far as science is concerned, it is not definitive on the reason of why grapes are poisonous for dogs; this answer is solely based on logical assumptions.

So, this is it. Here we give you one fruit that you cannot at all feed to your dog, unless you have really started hating him and want to kill him. Do you? Obviously not! So from now onwards, even if you see your worst enemy asking “Can dogs eat grapes and raisins?”, you should shout out loud: “Hell no!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *